The Data Leadership Peer Network’s (DLPN) mission is to provide a discussion forum for Connectiv members with established data businesses. Data businesses have unique needs and attributes, prompting the need for a dedicated focus within Connectiv to discuss their issues and challenges.
There are two networks currently meeting:
- The Product Development network addresses topics such as identifying new data sources, experiences with new data gathering and maintenance tools, data updating strategies, and inbound data licensing. Each network is limited to 10-12 executives from non-competing organizations.
- The Marketing and Sales network addresses topics such as licensing strategies, new marketing techniques, marketing channel effectiveness, and customer retention.
Each network is limited to 10-12 participants from non-competing organizations. They meet quarterly via video conference (and in-person in connection with Connectiv conferences). As these are peer discussions designed to facilitate shared learning, participants take an active role by contributing energetically and openly.
Discussions are moderated by Russell Perkins, founder and general manager of the InfoCommerce Group and a leading authority on data product businesses.
Product Development Peer Network
The first meeting of the Product Development network was held on May 25, 2016.
Topics discussed included:
- How does your organization develop data product ideas and what characteristics do you look for in a new product opportunity?
- How are new ideas presented and evaluated and what are the key challenges here? What does your internal organization look like?
- What are the challenges around implementing new data products once they concept is approved?
- Does acquisition play a role in new product development and what are the pros and cons of buying vs building?
- How do your organizations work with third-parties/vendors?