The speakers for next month’s SIPA 2014 Conference stand among the most knowledgeable in the industry. Here’s a sample of informative posts from their company websites.
1. Measuring the right metrics can be extremely valuable, so the ePublishing blog gives four to keep track of.
- Length of engagement – “the more accurate representation…”
- Unique visitors and size of audience: “You can segment this data around the writer’s individual audience and topic areas.”
- Return readership: “It’s important to reward content that will bring someone back and increase the chances they’ll register, subscribe or buy.”
- Amount of content produced: “…it’s important to find the sweet spot where quality is not compromised, but quantity is honored.”
Thomas Chaffee, president & CEO, ePublishing, will speak on Optimizing Your Content Management System with Dexter Steis of Natural Gas Intelligence and Andy Swindler of Astek. Another session will be Sales and Marketing Metrics.
2. A recent post on going global from Real Magnet tells what you need to consider.
- Does your database support multicurrency? “By utilizing an AMS/CRM that has a multicurrency feature, foreign exchange rates are automatically handled…You can also promote products in the local currency.”
- Does your website support multilingual content?
- Are you adhering to international spam laws? Canada will have strict new email marketing regulations starting in July.
- Are you able to validate international addresses? “Investing in technology that can easily validate the addresses in your database can help solve deliverability issues and help decrease shipping rates.”
Tom Pines, president of Real Magnet, will present Marketing Automation for Publishers with Mari Mullane of Inside Mortgage Finance.
3. On the Newstex blog, Susan Gunelius writes about research on the ideal length for various posts.
Ideal tweet length: 100 characters
Ideal Facebook post length: less than 40 characters
Ideal Google+ headline length: less than 60 characters
Ideal email subject line length: 28-39 characters
Ideal title tag length: 55 characters
Ideal domain name length: 8 characters
Larry Schwartz, president of Newstex, will co-present Licensing and Distributing Your Content with Jonathan Hoy from ABA Publishing.
4. A post on the Melcrum site says that sharing photos internally among employees can be a good thing.
I like the idea of posting a new employee’s first-day photo. “Embarrassing? Maybe, but it’s a great way to get your employees familiar with new starters quickly.” The article also recommends a photo to recognize a good achievement. “…sharing their success via an image will help the broader organization more deeply relate and engage with that message.”
Victoria Meillor, CEO of Melcrum, will present a Melcrum Case Study in Business Model Transformation. Robin Crumby, co-founder and executive director of Melcrum, will co-present Lead Generation: The Art & Science of Finding, Nurturing and Selling to New Names with Dan Oswald, CEO of BLR.
5. From Industry Dive’s 25 Social Media Tips for Media Publishers…
- Share well-written and original, feature-length articles. On average, our feature-length articles get far more mentions and re-tweets than our shorter “briefs.”
- Schedule your posts. You can’t be expected to sit around all day waiting for the perfect moment to tweet. It’s easier to pre-schedule your posts with services like Hootsuite.
- Track your social media traffic. Add UTM strings to the end of your tweets and Facebook posts to track social traffic via Google Analytics.
Ryan Willumson, Industry Dive co-founder, will speak on Mobile Strategies with Joe May from Pro Farmer.
To subscribe to the SIPAlert Daily, go to the SIIA website.
Ronn Levine began his career as a reporter for The Washington Post and has won numerous writing and publications awards since. Most recently, he spent 12 years at the Newspaper Association of America covering diversity, Newspaper in Education, marketing and leadership before joining SIPA in 2009 .