Advertising and PR for Everyone: Who is Winning the Race for Marketing Dollars?
As corporations begin to recognize the full power of online communications to reach audiences with their marketing messages many are using their own publishing tools to reach those audiences instead of relying solely on media outlets. From corporate weblogs to viral videos to slick interactive Web sites corporate marketing they’re beginning to see powerful results from direct marketing communications - and more cost-effective returns from auction-based contextual ads.
Some retailers are even learning how to leverage their own strong destination sites for ad revenues, further diluting the value of traditional publishing channels for getting out marketing messages. As venues for ads become more dispersed and more corporations build relationships directly with audiences, is the traditional media model based on brand advertising sustainable as a high-margin business?
- Getting the message out - GM uses its own weblog to talk back to negative coverage in NYT
- Using online videos edited by users to build product enthusiasm
- Home Depot selling brand ads on its own retail site
- Boeing building an immersive experience for the DreamLiner - an on-demand seductive experience
- IndustryBrains targeting contextual ads - small and medium businesses opting for online ads through ad networks (Forrester Research study)