For Immediate Release
Contact: Amanda McMaster, VP Awards and Recognition Programs
SIIA honors journalistic excellence in 24 categories in the B2B information industry
Grand Neal and Leadership Winners Announced at 67th Annual Jesse H. Neal Awards
WASHINGTON, DC (June 9, 2021) The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) announces winners for the 67th Jesse H. Neal Awards – one of the longest running premier awards programs honoring business-to-business (B2B) journalism.
The Jesse H. Neal Awards are the most prestigious editorial honors in the field of business-to-business journalism. Fifty-nine awards were presented across 24 categories, culminating in the Grand Neal Award, honoring the most outstanding entry celebrating journalistic excellence across all categories.
For the first time, this year’s Grand Neal Award recognizes journalistic excellence during the pandemic. The “Best COVID-19 Subject-Related package” was awarded to IEEE Spectrum for “A Special Report: The Next Pandemic.” This is the second consecutive Grand Neal win for IEEE Spectrum Magazine, both for a subject-related package.
“The Neal Awards has long celebrated journalistic excellence. Following one of the most contentious elections, an insurrection and other threats to our First Amendment, these awards hold a more prestigious place in recognizing the first draft of history and the work our award recipients produce day in and day out,” said SIIA President Jeff Joseph. “This year’s winners continue to lead the industry and produce outstanding, critically important content during a period of unprecedented challenges. Congratulations to all!”
Editorial and Business Leaders at Industry Dive, Informa PLC, American Chemical Society and Haymarket Media Inc. receive Leadership Awards
SIIA also honored the very best of specialized journalism through a series of Leadership Awards recognizing mentorship, vision, commitment and editorial ethics and courage:
- Emma Liem Beckett, editor for Industry Dive’s Restaurant Dive was selected as the 2021-22 McAllister Editorial Fellow. The Fellowship promotes the study of business media by placing fellows as teachers and advisors at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism.
- Lisa Caputo, Art Director, Aviation Week Network, Informa PLC was selected as the winner of the Marianne Dekker Mattera Mentor Award. This award honors leaders who excel in mentoring and is presented in memory of Dekker, the long-time Editor in Chief of RNMagazine and Medical Economics to reflect her legacy of mentorship.
- Dr. Bibiana Campos Seijo, VP, C&EN Media Group and Editor in Chief, Chemical & Engineering News at the American Chemical Society was selected as the winner of the 53rd Annual G.D. Crain Jr. Award, which is given annually to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the development of editorial excellence in business media over the course of a career.
- Steve Barrett, VP, editorial director of PRWeek & Campaign US of Haymarket Media, Inc. received the Timothy White Award, which honors the longtime editor of Billboard Magazine and is given to an editor whose work displays courage, integrity and passion.
View the Neal Awards gallery online which showcases all 2021 winners and finalists.
Following the Neal Awards Ceremony, SIIA will host two additional awards programs this month:
- June 16: EXCEL Awards, recognizing excellence in association media
- June 22 and 23: Codie Awards, honoring excellence in technology
SIIA is the only professional organization connecting more than 700 data, financial information, education technology, specialized content and publishing, and health technology companies. Our diverse members manage the global financial markets, develop software that solves today’s challenges through technology, provide critical information that helps inform global businesses large and small, and innovate for better health care and personal wellness outcomes.