New York, NY (April 21, 2023) – The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) announces winners for the 69th Jesse H. Neal Awards – one of the longest running premier awards programs honoring business-to-business (B2B) journalism.
The Jesse H. Neal Awards are the most prestigious editorial honors in the field of business-to-business journalism. Fifty-nine awards were presented across 24 categories, culminating in the Grand Neal Award, honoring the most outstanding entry celebrating journalistic excellence across all categories. The in-person Neal Awards Ceremony took place at the New York City Marriott Marquis.
This year’s Grand Neal Award was awarded to SmartWork Media’s Global Cannabis Times for their Fall 2022 edition, a best single issue of a tabloid/newspaper/magazine accredited to: Damon Poeter, Editor-in-Chief and Victor Cantal, Group Design Editor.
“Business journalism reports across industries that are the backbone of American prosperity. It is not an exaggeration to say the tremendous efforts by these accomplished journalists doesn’t just affect the stock market – but touches each of our lives in so many ways,” said SIIA President Chris Mohr. “SIIA is committed to elevating the accomplishments of our media partners. The submissions this year were impressive. Congratulations to all of our winners and finalists. A sincere thank you to today’s judges who made this great event possible.”
Editorial and Business Leaders at BNP Media Inc., Northstar Travel Group, and NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® received Leadership Awards
SIIA also honored the very best of specialized journalism through a series of leadership awards recognizing mentorship, vision, commitment and editorial ethics and courage:
- Scott Blair, Editor-in-Chief for Engineering News-Record at BNP Media Inc. was selected as the 2022-23 McAllister Editorial Fellow. The Fellowship promotes the study of business media by placing fellows as teachers and advisors at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism.
- Northstar Travel Group’s Kenneth Shapiro, Vice President and Publisher/Editor-in-Chief of TravelAge West was selected as the winner of the Marianne Dekker Mattera Mentor Award. This award honors leaders who excel in mentoring and is presented in memory of Dekker, the long-time Editor in Chief of RNMagazine and Medical Economics to reflect her legacy of mentorship.
- Stacey Moncrieff, Executive Editor of Publications and Editor-in-Chief of REALTOR® Magazine at the National Association of REALTORS® received the 55th Annual G.D. Crain Jr. Award, which is given annually to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the development of editorial excellence in business media over the course of a career.
View the Neal Awards gallery online which showcases all 2023 winners and finalists.
Following the Neal Awards, SIIA will also host two additional awards programs this June:
- June 21 and 22: CODiE Awards, honoring excellence in business and education technology
- June 26: EXCEL Awards, recognizing excellence in association media
SIIA is the only professional organization connecting more than 500 data, financial information, education technology, specialized content and publishing companies. Our diverse members provide the critical data, content, and information that drives the global economy, informs financial networks, connects learners and educators, and drives innovation. Learn more at siia.net.